Council's response to emergencies

In the event of any incident, accident or declared emergency, it is the function of the primary responding emergency service organisation to maintain control and command of the event. Depending on the type, level or location of the incident, accident or emergency the command or control agency may vary.

Occasionally, Council may be required to assist in a support role to one or more of these agencies. Calls for assistance, other than from the relevant agencies: Police, NSW Fire Brigade, Rural Fire Service (RFS), Volunteer Rescue Association (VRA),  or State Emergency Services (SES) should be advised to call 000 or 132500 for storm and flood assistance.

Council responds to emergency situations in a number of ways, including:

Storms and Floods

  • Removing trees from roads
  • Road closures if necessary

In case of emergency, call 132 500

Motor Vehicle Accidents

  • Closing of roads
  • Traffic control – signage/controllers
  • Ensuring the road is safe after the event
  • Sweeping of roads
  • Clearing debris from area
  • Provision of absorbent materials to make roads safe
  • Road signage

In case of emergency, call 000

House Fires

Council involvement should be rare but may involve:

  • Road closures if necessary
  • Provision of bulk water supplies in remote areas during times of drought

In case of emergency, call 000

Bush Fires

  • Road closures
  • Clearing fire trails
  • Providing fuel/maintenance to vehicles
  • Providing admin staff for fire control centre
  • Providing mechanical services
  • Provision of bulk water
  • Transport of large or bulky equipment
  • Transport of aviation fuel stock

In case of emergency, call 000


Once declared safe, Council responsibilities include:

  • Closing roads
  • Traffic control – signage/controllers
  • Make road safe after the event
  • Road sweeping
  • Clearing debris from area
  • Provision of absorbent material
  • Road signage

In case of emergency, call 000