Kerbside bins

Council operates kerbside domestic waste garbage bin services within the towns of Mudgee, Gulgong, Kandos and Rylstone, and the villages of Charbon and Clandulla.

Learn what goes into your bins and how to manage your waste and recycling effectively.

What can I put in each bin?

 Green-Lid-FOGO-bin-150x280px.png       Yellow-lid-bin-150x280px_1.png       Blue-lid-bin-150x280px_1.png       Dark-Green-lid-bin-150x280px.png  

Food and Garden (Weekly Collection)

 All food scraps including:

  • Fruit and vegetables
  • Meat, fish, bones
  • Eggs and dairy
  • Tea leaves and teabags
  • Coffee grounds
  • Bread, rice, pasta
  • Left-overs and expired foods

All garden organics including:

  • Grass clippings
  • Prunings and branches (up to 15cm)
  • Flowers and weeds

ONLY Council's cornstach caddy liners are to be used.

Plastic food packaging, degradable or biodegradable bags, takeaway containers, coffee cups, rocks, bricks, garden pots, hoses, treated timber, clothing

Recycling (Fortnightly Collection)

  • Plastic bottles and containers (clean)
  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Steel and aluminium cans
  • Aerosol cans (empty)
  • Aluminium foil

Bagged recyclables, soft plastics, containers with food, polystyrene, bagged rubbish, mirrors, crockery, glasses, window panes, clothing, e-waste, small household appliances

Paper and Cardboard (Fortnightly Collection)

  • Clean cardboard and paper
  • Junk mail
  • Envelopes
  • Gable-topped milk and juice cartons

Dirty pizza boxes, UHT and long life packs

Landfill (Weekly Collection)

  • Non-hazardous household rubbish
  • Soft plastics
  • Nappies
  • Mirrors
  • Crockery
  • Glasses
  • Window panels
  • Polystyrene
  • Clothing
  • Toys
  • Small household appliances

Household batteries, car batteries, hazardous waste, paint, fire extinguishers, gas bottles, e-waste, motor oils, other oils, fluoro globes and tubes, smoke detectors


Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if my garbage bin is stolen or damaged?

Council does not replace lost or stolen bins. Bins belong to and are the responsibility of the property owner and need to be maintained and replaced when necessary. Replacement parts for bins are available from hardware stores. If Council damages a bin a replacement bin will be provided.

What do I do if my bin is not collected?

On some occasions waste collection trucks can become delayed. However, if other bins in your street have been emptied please check for a sticker on your bin, which will explain why collection did not occur. Reasons include bins obstructed by a car, facing the wrong way, too close to a structure or containing incorrect materials.

Please place your bin out for the next scheduled collection day or alternatively take your waste to Mudgee, Gulgong or Kandos Waste Facilities.

How do I order a new bin?

Council has kerbside collection bins available for purchase. To place an order please complete the online form

How is recycling sorted?

All recycling is hand sorted at Council’s Mudgee Recycling Centre by employees of our Disability Enterprise. It is important to ensure that only the correct recyclable products are placed in your recycle bins. Incorrect waste types can cause the contaminated load to be rejected and sent to land fill and some items may even pose a problem for the health and safety of workers.

What happens to my recycling once it is collected?

Your recycling is collected from the kerbside and transported to Council’s Mudgee Recycling Centre. Recycling Centre employees then sort the waste into material types, as well as helping to separate clean and soiled recyclables. The materials recovered are then marketable products which can be used in manufacturing. Recyclables are bought and sold like raw materials would be.

When recycling is sorted correctly, a greater volume of materials can be recycled. Less contamination also helps to keep our employees safer.

Please refer to the kerbside bin guide to view items that belong in your recycling bin and how to sort effectively. 

What happens to my food and organics waste once it is collected?

Your Food and Garden Organics (FOGO) bin is collected from the kerbside and transported to Dubbo Regional Organics Processing Plant (DROP) where the material is manually checked by employees for contamination. The organic material is then turned into a product by Council’s organic waste contractor JR Richards & Sons.

When food and organics waste is sorted correctly, a greater volume of materials can be turned into a useful compost product and saved from entering landfill.

Please refer to the kerbside bin guide to view items that belong in your food and garden organics bin and how to sort effectively.