FAQs and resources

Frequently asked questions relating to water services and supply in the Mid-Western Regional Council area.

Water sources

What might affect the quality of the river or dam water?

  • Weather conditions, such as droughts and high rainfall can lead to large amounts of soil being washed into the river or dam, this can cause water to be turbid.
  • Natural hazards such as bushfires, lead to ash and other sediments in the water and an increase in turbidity.
  • Natural minerals found in the catchment, such as iron-rich geology and soils, will lead to higher concentrations of these minerals within the water supply. 
  • Activities in the catchment, such as farms and petrol use or leakages can lead to water contamination. 

How is Council protecting the catchment?

  • Council operates meters which effectively monitor water turbidity. Council operators also closely monitor weather patterns to help prevent dirty water entering water treatment plants.
  • Restricting activities on and around Rylstone Dam helps to prevent chemicals or agricultural runoff which may affect the treatment process at this facility. 

Water treatment

What impurities may be in untreated (raw) water?

  • Clays and silts – may make the water ‘cloudy’ or affect the aesthetic quality of the water. Particles can also shield microorganisms from disinfection.
  • Natural organic matter, such as algae – may create taste and odour problems.
  • Iron – may create taste, odour and colour problems.
  • Manganese – may create taste, odour and colour problems.
  • High or low pH – can cause problems with corrosion, taste and odour problems, and ineffective disinfection.
  • Microorganisms – these are removed through disinfection to prevent waterborne illnesses.

Why is there chlorine in my drinking water?

Water is disinfected to kill any disease-causing microorganisms. Chlorine is a highly effective disinfectant, and is used at treatment plants to help guard against microbial contamination of water supply.

Click here to find out how much chlorine residual is in your water.

Why is fluoride added to the water?

Fluoride is added to community water supplies to reduce incidences of dental decay, particularly in children. Adding fluoride to drinking water is provided for in NSW legislation and is strongly encouraged by NSW Health.

In line with relevant health advice, Mid-Western Regional Council's water supply is concentrated with fluoride at a level of 1.0 milligrams per litre.

Refer to the NSW Health Fluoride Fact Sheet for more information.

Town water supply

How much fluoride is in the town water supply?

1 milligram per litre.

How much chlorine is in the town water supply?

Water is disinfected to kill any disease-causing microorganisms found within the water supply. Chlorine is a highly effective disinfectant, and is used at treatment plants to help guard against microbial contamination of water supply. 

The typical concentrations of chlorine residual in Council’s distribution systems are between 0.2mg/L and 2mg/L. Based on health considerations, the ADWG guideline value for maximum total chlorine in drinking water is 5mg/L.

What is the hardness of the town water supply?

Water hardness for the Mudgee and Gulgong town water supplies is 120-140mg/L, and 90-100mg/L for Rylstone.

Does Council test private samples of water?

No, please source a company that can test water samples. They will also advise the type of container that should be used to collect the sample. 

Water restrictions

Are water restrictions currently in place?

There are currently NO water restrictions in place for the Mid-Western Region, however Council encourages continued everyday water saving measures.

Common water issues

I have dirty water coming out of my taps, what can be done?

In this situation, firstly flush your external taps (running them) closest to the water meter for a period of approximately two minutes. This is to avoid pulling dirty water through the internal pipes.

If water continues to be dirty please contact Council or lodge a works request online. 

I have a leaking water meter, what do I do?

In this situation Council will need to know if the water meter is leaking on the Council side of the water meter (footpath/nature strip side) or the owner’s side of the water meter.

Council is responsible for fixing leaks up to and including the water meter, however if the water meter is leaking on the owner's side a plumber will need to be contacted to resolve.

I am changing tap washers and can't turn off the water meter, what do I do?

In this situation you will need to contact Council. Customer Service will then lodge a works request on your behalf to our technical officer to inspect the meter.

I have no water coming out of my taps or am experiencing low water pressure.

Firstly, check your water meter is turned on. To check, you will need access your water meter and ensure that the meter spindle, located on the Council side of the water meter, is turned on.

If it is on and you still have no water you will need to contact Council. 

Connecting water to my property

What is the incurring cost to connect water and/or sewer to my property?

The developer is responsible for the cost of a new water or sewer connection required to service newly created lots within a subdivision. If you have purchased a newly created lot, please provide your lot and DP details to Council's Customer Service team who can confirm that payment has been made and then forward a request for connection to Council’s Operations Department.

If it is for an existing block that has been subdivided please refer to Council’s Fees and Charges.

For water connection to an industrial or commercial premises, the owner will need to provide Council with their requirements.

If your land isn’t fronted by a Council water/sewer main, Council will need to quote you for extending the main to service your block of land.

Application for Water/Sewer Connection

How long will it take to get water connected to my block?

Work needs to be paid for in advance. On average residential blocks will take 3-4 weeks to connect and for larger services and meters it will take longer as parts need to be ordered before work can commence.

If I have paid my contributions do I still need to pay for my connection?

Yes, Section 64 Water and Sewer Headworks charges are contributions towards future up-grades of the headworks (treatment plants) and distribution systems. Council’s Fees and Charges are applied in addition to Section 64 charges.

How do I move my water meter from its current location?

You will need to contact Council to arrange a site inspection.

Cost for the work will be quoted, and this will need to be paid in full before Council can commence work.