Making a submission

If you consider you may be affected by a proposed local development, you can make a public submission to Council.

Copies of Development Applications currently on exhibition are available at Council's Mudgee Customer Service Centre at 86 Market Street, Mudgee, or can be viewed online here: Development Applications on Exhibition.

Council's Community Participation Plan outlines whether a Development Application (DA) needs to be notified to adjoining owners and/or advertising.

How to make a submission

Submissions should be lodged with Council before the application closing date specified in the public notice. Late submissions may not be accepted.

Comments and submissions must be received in writing and addressed to the The General Manager, Mid-Western Regional Council, and include:

  • Reference to the relevant DA Number you would like to comment on
  • Details outlining your concerns
  • Contact details including your name, contact number and address


To lodge a submission electronically, please email


To lodge a submission via mail, please address to:

Attention: The General Manager
Mid-Western Regional Council
86 Market Street, Mudgee

In Person

Deliver your submission in person:

Mudgee Customer Service Centre
86 Market Street, Mudgee


Your submission

Submissions, including objection letters, which are made in relation to DAs, are considered to be open access information under the Government Information (Public Access) Regulation 2009. Open access information is available for inspection by members of the public, including the applicant/owner, and may be published in Council reports or on Council’s website.  

Under section 739 of the Local Government Act 1993, a person may request that their name and address be removed from documents available for public inspection, if disclosure would place that person or members of their family’s personal safety at risk. Requests must be made in writing to the General Manager of Council and you must provide supporting information. You may be requested to provide a signed statutory declaration in support of your request.  

Council officers assess DAs against criteria set out in local planning controls and legislation. Therefore, your submission must clearly set out your concerns, in order to be properly considered against the proposal. Some issues you may wish to consider in your submission relating to a DA include comments on views, floorspace, height, urban design, heritage, traffic and car parking, noise, landscaping, drainage, privacy and overshadowing.

Most DAs are assessed and determined by staff under delegated authority, however some DAs may be called up to, and considered at a full Council meeting. The public is welcome to attend these meetings, which are held monthly in the Council Chambers at 86 Market Street, Mudgee. View the upcoming calendar of dates here.

Agendas and reports for Council meetings are also made available online, generally on the Friday preceding the scheduled meeting. 


If amendments are made to the application before determination and Council officers consider these to be minor or to reduce impacts, you will not be re-notified. However, Council will contact you if significant changes are made to the current proposal.

If the DA is to be determined by Council, Council staff will contact people who made a submission to inform them of the meeting date once the agenda has been published. Please provide a daytime telephone number, fax number or email address so that we can contact you, as the short timeframe means it is not always practical to post a letter.

When a final determination is made about a DA all people who make a submission are informed of the outcome. For DAs determined by the Council, Council business papers are available online.


Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998

The  personal information the Council is collecting from you is:

  • your name;
  • address; and
  • any personal information in your submission.

Possible recipients of the personal information are:

  • Officers within Council;
  • Any other agent of the Council;
  • People who have made submissions on the matter;
  • The applicant;
  • Councillors and those who attend Council meetings;
  • Those who access the Council business papers; and
  • Members of the public who seek access under relevant legislation.

The supply of this information by you is voluntary and in accordance with the spirit of relevant legislation is considered to be in the public domain. However, in certain circumstances, a person may request that their personal information be suppressed. If this is required please advise Council in writing (clearly indicating the personal information you wish to have suppressed) at the time of making the submission.

Council is collecting personal information from you in order to assess an application made pursuant to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 or Local Government Act 1993.

You may make application for access or amendment to personal information held by Council.

The agency that will hold this information is Council.

Enquiries concerning privacy considerations regarding this matter should be addressed to the Public Officer, Mid-Western Regional Council, PO Box 156, Mudgee, NSW 2850.

Political donations disclosures

A disclosure statement of a reportable political donation or gift must accompany a planning application or submission if the reportable donation or gift is made within two years before the application or submission is made. If the donation or gift is made after the lodgement of the application, a disclosure statement must be sent to the relevant consent or approval authority within 7 days after the donation or gift is made. 

Political donations register

A reportable donation is defined as:

  • $1,000 or more made to or for the benefit of the part, elected member, group or candidate; or
  • $1,000 or more made by a major political donor to or for the benefit of a party, elected member, group or candidate, or made to the major political donor; or
  • Less than $1,000 if the aggregated total of the donations made by the entity or person to the same party, elected member, group, candidate or person within the same financial year (ending 30 June) is $1,000 or more

Political Disclosure Statement  

Councillor requirements

All Councillors have an ongoing six monthly obligation under the Election Funding and Disclosures Act 2010 to lodge a Declaration of Political Donation Received and Electoral Expenditure incurred during the disclosure period.

For further information and/or to view the public register of all current donations and expenditure declarations lodged by Councillors visit the Election Funding Authority Website.