Registering a food business

Explore the steps and Council involvement required with regard to setting up or purchasing, and registering a food business.

Development requirements

If you are considering starting up a new food business premises, one of the first things you need to consider is where you plan to locate the business and whether or not the location has approval for your intended use. For example, if you plan on renting a premises that has been operating as an office, you will need to lodge a Development Application for a "Change of Use". Even if you will be using the premises for the same use as the previous tenants, you may still need to lodge a Development Application if you are going to be making any changes to the building or erecting any signage.

To find out whether or not you will need development approval or if there are any restrictions on the intended premises, get in touch with Council or make an appointment with planning staff to discuss in more detail what will be required.

Food business notification

Under the NSW Food Act 2003, all food businesses are required to notify their details to Council or in the case of primary industry related food or wholesalers to the NSW Food Authority. 

Food businesses must notify their details to Mid-Western Regional Council by submitting the below registration form. This also applies if you are considering a home based food business (For example: making jams at home to sell at markets, home based catering etc).

Register your business

Step 1.Contact Council

You may require Council consent to operate your business, even if a managing agent or owner has given you permission to operate. Before registering your business, please contact Council’s Planning Department to discuss your enquiry and whether planning approval is required. 

Step 2.Appoint a Food Safety Supervisor

In most cases, food businesses require a registered Food Safety Supervisor in order to operate.

Step 3.Gather your documents

In order for Council to assess your application, you must ensure you provide your trading name, ABN, premises address, type of business/nature of food prepared. 

Step 4.Register with Council