Access to Information
Mid-Western Regional Council is committed to the proactive disclosure and dissemination of information about our operations, plans and decisions.
Council is required to provide appropriate access to information under the following NSW Legislations:
- Local Government Act 1993
- Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA)
- Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979; and
- Privacy and Personal Information Act 1998
- Health Records Information Privacy Act 2002
Accessing Council Information
Council publishes a range of information under the GIPA Act free of charge via this website.
Other information can be accessed through either a formal or informal application process.
Council is authorised to release government information held unless there is an overriding public interest against disclosure of the information.
For information that is not readily available via our website, you can submit an informal request.
Examples of informal information include:
- development applications: applications, planners reports, consents and plans.
- building related certificates
- plans of management
- local history material
There is no application fee for informal requests for information, however copying charges may apply. Please refer to our Schedule of Fees and Charges for pricing.
We will notify you within 15 working days if the information requested is available for release.
If you lodge an informal access application, Council may require a formal access application form to be submitted in certain circumstances.
A formal GIPA request form will need to be completed if the information that is being sought:
- is not available via an informal release
- is of a sensitive nature that requires careful weighing of considerations in favour of and against disclosure
- contains personal information about a third party that requires consultation
- contains business (or commercial in confidence) information
- may involve a substantial amount of time and resources to produce
All formal access applications are subject to an application fee of $30. Additional processing fees may apply. Please refer to our Schedule of Fees and Charges for pricing.
You will be notified as to the validity of your application within five (5) business days. Council must then decide and give notice of decision within twenty (20) business days.
For more information and a copy of the formal GIPA application please refer to our Access to Information Policy.
Information held by Council
For details of the Council’s structure and functions, the various kinds of information it holds and how that may be accessed please see Council’s Agency Information Guide.
The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA) requires agencies to keep a disclosure log of applications where access is provided (to some or all of the information applied for) and may be considered of interest to other members of public.
For further information in relation to applications, please contact the Right to Information Officer via email on email@example.com or (02) 6378 2850.