Development Applications

To establish if your proposal requires approval you will need to determine the type of development that you propose. Some development requires an application to Council while other development may be undertaken without any planning approval. This part of Council's website provides information on how to establish your type of development, your zone and any relevant approval requirements.

The following steps will help establish what approvals may be required:

  1. Determine the zone that applies to the development site under the Mid-Western Regional Local Environmental 2012.
  2. Establish the type of development you propose and check whether your type of proposed development is permitted with or without consent, or if prohibited in your zone.
  3. Check if there are any other site attributes such as Bushfire or Heritage that may trigger other approval requirements.
  4. Confirm that the site is suitable for the proposed development.
  5. Check how Council's adopted guidelines, plans, codes and policies affect the proposed development. 

Sometimes it is not clear whether something requires a Development Application as it often depends on the size and location of the works. If you are unsure it is advisable to check with Council before proceeding.

Council holds pre-lodgement meetings to discuss proposed developments. Click here for more information.

Once you have development consent you will most likely need a construction certificate. Click here to find out more on construction certificates.

Types of Approvals

There are eight different planning approval pathways in NSW, relevant to the Mid-Western Regional Local Government Area. The size and scale of the development will determine which of the assessment pathways is appropriate.

Many types of minor home renovations and small building projects such as the erection of a carport, balcony, deck or garden shed don't need a planning or building approval. These types of projects are called exempt development. If the building project meets specific development standards and land requirements, no planning or building approval is needed.

Other straightforward, low impact residential, commercial and industrial developments that do require planning approval may qualify for a fast track approval process known as complying development. If the application meets specific standards and land requirements a complying development certificate (CDC) can be obtained through Council or an accredited certifier without the need for a full development application.

Find out more about all eight planning approval pathways in NSW here:
  • Exempt Development
  • Complying Development
  • Local Development
  • Regional Development
  • State Significant Development
  • State Significant Infrastructure
  • Part 3A Development
  • Development without Consent


Frequently asked Planning Questions

  • How long does a development application (DA) take to be processed?
  • What do I do if my DA is about to expire and I haven't started to build yet?
  • I want to set up a business in the business area of town. What do I need to do?
  • Where do I get soil assessments for my DA?
  • Where do I get an aboriginal cultural heritage assessment for my DA?
  • Where do I get bushfire assessments done for my DA?
  • My neighbour has commenced building works, why wasn't it notified?
  • Dwelling Entitlements
  • What is my Zone?
  • I want to cut down a tree in my backyard. Do I need approval?
  • Do I need approval to remove a tree on my rural property?
  • My neighbour's tree is overhanging my fence, can I remove this branch?
  • What are the regulations on chimney smoke?
  • I am starting a business from home; do I need approval from Council?
  • Taking over an existing business?
  • Do I need approval for my footpath sign and why?
  • Do I need Council consent to live in my shed?
  • I live near a coal mine, the noise is disturbing my sleep. Who do I contact?
  • My neighbours continually ride motorbikes on weekends - can Council help me?