Preparing your application

If you're planning to build or renovate, it's likely you'll need to submit a Development Application (DA) to gain consent from Council before work commences.

A Development Application is a formal request for consent to carry out a number of proposed development activities, such as:

  • Building, earthworks, landscaping and other works
  • Demolishing a structure
  • Changing the use of land
  • Subdividing land or strata subdividing buildings
  • Adjusting property boundaries

Find out more about whether you need approval here and the approval process here.

Follow the below steps to submit your Development Application. 

Apply Online

Step 1.Register or log in to the NSW Planning Portal

To apply for a Development Application online, you must be registered and able to log in via the NSW Planning Portal.

You can apply for a Construction Certificate, Subdivision Certificate and Occupation Certificate as part of the Development Application process.

Register or log in

Step 2.Gather your documents

The type of information that accompanies a Development Application will vary depending on your proposal and site. This may include:

  • A Statement of Environmental Effects
  • Plans of the proposed development (site plan, floor plans, elevations and sections)
  • Plans demonstrating any proposed landscaping
  • Plans of existing development (if being retained or partly retained)
  • Subdivision plans (if subdivision is proposed)
  • Stormwater plan
  • BASIX Certificate (if applicable)

Your Development Application should address all relevant matters in your Statement of Environmental Effects. This will help to assist in the planning process and avoid the need to request additional information. 

Step 3.Lodge Your Application

Once you have all the required documentation, you can lodge your Development Application. Electronic versions of the required documentation are required to complete the application.

Lodge Application

Step 4.Pay

Lodgement fees will be calculated by Council and an invoice provided after your application has been received. 

Your Development Application will not be determined until all outstanding fees have been paid.

Make a Payment

In Person

Visit Us

Council's Duty Town Planner is available at our Mudgee Customer Service Centre between the hours of 8:30am – 4:30pm to assist with development applications, enquiries and to help submit your application. 

Mudgee Customer Service Centre
86 Market St

If you are unable to attend Council's Mudgee Customer Service Centre in person, you can contact the Development Directorate by phone on 6378 2850, via email at or by mail marked to the attention of the Development Directorate, Mid-Western Regional Council, 86 Market Street Mudgee NSW 2850.

Appointments with specific Town Planners and Building Surveyors are also available - get in touch with Council directly to arrange.

What's next?

Learn more about the steps Council takes to approve or reject an application here.

Explore helpful resources and frequently asked questions here

Council's Duty Town Planner is available Monday to Friday, between 8:30am - 4:30pm. Get in touch on 6378 2850, or visit our Mudgee Customer Service Centre at 86 Market Street, Mudgee.