Pension rebates

Under State legislation some pensioners are eligible for mandatory concessions. The amounts of the concessions available on an annual basis are:

  • Up to $250 on all ordinary rates and charges for domestic waste management services
  • Up to $87.50 on water rates or charges
  • Up to $87.50 on sewerage rates or charges

To become an eligible pensioner you must be liable for the rates and charges on a property. This property will need to be your sole or principal residence, and you must have a current pensioner concession card.

The legislation explains eligible pensioners as:

  • people who receive a pension, benefit or allowance under Chapter 2 of the Social Security Act 1991 of the Commonwealth and hold a pensioner concession card issued by or on behalf of the Commonwealth Government;
  • people who receive a service pension under Part III of the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 of the Commonwealth and hold a pensioner concession card issued by or on behalf of the Commonwealth Government;
  • people who receive a pension from the Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs as:
    a) the widow or widower of a member of the Australian Defence or Peacekeeping Forces, or
    b) the unmarried or widowed mother of a deceased unmarried member of either of those Forces.

    (People in both of the above categories are eligible only if they would also be eligible for a  pensioner concession card from Centrelink.)

  • people who receive a general rate of pension adjusted for extreme disablement under section 22(4) of the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 of the Commonwealth, or a special rate of pension under section 24 of that Act.

Please click on the following links for more information relating to eligible Pension Concession issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs.

Please note:

  • If you start receiving a pension after the commencement of a quarterly billing period and you meet the above conditions, you can claim a rebate from the start of the next quarterly billing period.
  • If you cease to qualify as an eligible pensioner, you will not be entitled to receive a rebate after the end of the quarterly billing period in which you ceased to be eligible. Therefore, if you were granted a pensioner rebate in advance that you are no longer entitled to, it will be charged back to your rate account for the period pertaining to your ineligibility.

Please contact Council immediately if your eligibility changes.

Please click on the links below to obtain further information and download an application form.

Pensioner Concession Information  (21kb)

Pensioner Concession Application Form (PDF 2Mb)

Pension rebates FAQ

As a pensioner, are you eligible for a concession/rebate on your rates?

Concessions are available for eligible pensioners. To be an eligible pensioner you must own the property, receive a pension from either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs, and be entitled to a pensioner concession card issued by the Commonwealth Government. You can only claim a concession on the property if it is the sole or principal place of living.

How do you apply for a pensioner concession?

You will need to complete a pensioner concession application form which can be obtained by contacting Council or by downloading the attachments on the bottom of the green column at left.
If you are eligible, what concessions are you entitled to?

  • Half of the total of your ordinary rates and waste management charge, up to a maximum of $250.
  • Half of your water charges, up to a maximum of $87.50.
  • Half of your sewerage charges, up to a maximum of $87.50.

Does the rebate amount increase with inflation or in line with rate increases?

No. The amounts are fixed by the NSW Government and the level has remained constant for a number of years.

The cost of providing mandatory concessions is met by both state and local government. Any increase in the existing limits would increase the cost of the scheme and may have an adverse impact on the services that councils provide to the community.