Get Involved


Supported employees are officially known as “consumers”

There are currently over 30 consumers employed at Mid-Western Regional Council that perform functions such as;

  • Recycling
  • Retail
  • Cardboard disposal
  • Ironing service

A prospective consumer can contact Mid-Western Recycling themselves, or other people can contact Mid-Western Recycling on their behalf including:

  • Centrelink
  • Schools
  • TAFE
  • Families
  • Advocates
  • Employment Agencies

Centrelink must authorise the entry of consumers into Mid-Western Recycling/Ironed Out business. 


The consumer must:

  • Have an intellectual, physical, sensory or psychiatric disability
  • Want to get a job
  • Work more than 8 hours a week
  • Willing to learn basic work skills
  • 16 years old or over
  • Require long term supported employment

The consumer must NOT:

  • Have unstable living arrangements
  • Be medically unfit to work
  • Have a drug or alcohol problem
  • Have behavioural problems that presents a risk to the wellbeing of other consumers, staff and employees.