Registering a Complaint

Making a Complaint about a Food Business

If you have reason to believe you are suffering from food poisoning or have concerns about either the quality of food, contamination of food, or unclean food premises, the NSW Food Auhtoirty has established a consumer helpline and contact centre for reporting these matter:

  • Telephone on 1300 552 406 from 8:30am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday
  • Facsimile on (02) 9647 0026
  • Email on
  • Mail to: Consumer & Insdustry Contact Centre c/- NSW Food Auhtoirty PO Box 6682, Silverwater, NSW, 1811

Alternatively, you can lodge a complaint with Council's Customer Service Tema for investigation by our Environmental Helath Officers. Council works in partnership with The NSW Food Authority and may refer complaints to or investigate complaints referred on by the Authority depending on who is in the best position to deal with the nature of the complaint. Please note that Council's role is to implement the relevant food laws and does not extend to seeking compensation for food or any personal injury or to providing legal advice.

When lodging a complaint, please provide as much of the following information as possible:

  • Your name, address and telephone number;
  • The nature, time and location of the incident;
  • Details of the restaurant, function or event where you believe you consumed the contaminated food inlcuding full street address details;
  • If anyone has become ill, their symptoms and when they started to become ill;
  • What they ate at the suspected meal and what other ate as well, including dips and sauces;
  • If there was any left over food that could be tested if an officer determines this is warranted.

It is important if you are feeling unwell that you seek medical advice as soon as possible.